Who we can help

Alcohol abuse can lead to alcohol dependence or addiction when both quantity and rate of use increase. People who experience alcohol addiction feel unable to control the impulse to drink and they often experience withdrawal symptoms in the sudden absence of the substance. Some people are unaware or deny that they have a problem with addiction and sometimes alcohol takes control of family life and close relationships. If you:

  • need information about alcohol related problems or are worried about your drinking.
  • are concerned about: husband/wife/partner, parent, child, brother/sister, close friend, relation, because you feel their use of alcohol is causing problems.
  • are involved in an organisation / group and want advice or information to set up educational or preventative programmes in the community.
  • think that someone else's problem drinking is affecting you.
  • are involved in a professional capacity with an individual or a family and you think alcohol may be a problem.

Please get in touch.

A problem drinker is an individual who is having difficulties in their life as a result of their alcohol intake. The term problem drinking is used to refer to people who have not yet developed a full blown alcohol addiction, but it most usually refers to all types of alcohol abuse. 

Possible Warning Signs of Alcohol Abuse

Alcohol abuse or misuse can be difficult to define and people’s opinions, values and beliefs vary significantly on the topic. If you feel, however, that your life has become unmanageable due to any of the following factors, please get in touch.

  • Failure to meet social, work, and academic obligations
  • Physical injury or illness
  • Alcohol related legal problems, such as arrest for driving while intoxicated
  • Relationship problems with intimate partners, friends, and family
  • Impulsivity, such as spending money excessively
  • Diminished interest in other activities
  • Memory loss or blackouts.

There are a range of programes suited to individuals who have concerns about their drinking:

A concerned person is any individual who lives with or is affected by someone's drinking. A concerned person may be a partner, spouse, parent, sibling, adult child or close friend. They may be living with either problematic drinking or sobriety. They can come to the service through self-referral and are typically interested in exploring how alcohol misuse has affected or still is affecting their lives.

The drinker in their life may or may not be a client of the service.

The centre acknowledges that it is vitally important to provide support, education and counselling to concerned persons of problem drinkers and we believe that concerned persons deserve a recovery as much as the drinker.

Programmes and services available for the Concerned Person: